This marks the ninth year that the Town of Orangeville has held an event to celebrate the arts and announce the recipients of arts and culture awards. The evening celebration at the Town Hall Opera House serves as a kick-off to Culture Days in the community.
Opening remarks were provided by:
- The Honourable Sylvia Jones, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport and MPP for Dufferin-Caledon
- Ruth Burns, Executive Director of Ontario Culture Days
- Jeremy Williams, Mayor of the Town of Orangeville
Several nominations were received for eight award categories, with judging completed by an experienced independent panel from outside Dufferin County.
The recipients of the 2018 awards are:
- Established Artist of the Year: Sharon Wadsworth-Smith
- Emerging Artist of the Year: Andrew Maycock
- Student Artist of the Year: Chanelle Nguyen-Duong
- Arts Educator of the Year Award: CJ Shelton
- Community Arts Volunteer Advocate Award: Jim Kurtz
- Community Impact by an Organization Award: Dufferin County Cultural Resource Circle
- Community Impact by a Business Award: Mark’s Orangeville
- Creative Cultural Event Award: Celebrate the Arts – Dufferin Arts Council
Master of Ceremonies Wayne Townsend congratulated all of the nominees, stating they have enhanced arts and culture in the community. Entertainment for the event was provided by mentalist and illusionist Sawyer Bullock.
Past award recipients and more information about the Arts & Culture Awards can be found at orangeville.ca.